Nutrigenomics – For Doctors & Dietitians
Nutritional Genomics, or Nutrigenomics, is a multidisciplinary science which deals with the study of how our food interacts with our genes and how our genes determine our response to our food or certain chemicals found in our food. Nutrigenomics is being hailed as a science which has the potential to prevent, alleviate or even treat certain chronic diseases, by simply making slight changes to what we eat.
Scientists have found out that certain chemicals in the food that we consume have the ability to attach to certain genes inside our cells and thus bring about modifications in the way these genes work. They may switch the genes “ON” or “OFF” or have an impact on the final outcome of their activities; i.e. protein synthesis. Researchers have found that certain foods can make us susceptible to certain diseases and disorders; not due directly to the foods, but because we have certain genes with which these foods interact. Research has proved that dietary chemicals have the ability to alter gene expression (when the information on the gene is read and protein is made using the information, it is said to be gene expression).
- The conceptual basis for this new branch of genomic research can best be summarized with the following five tenets. [Kaput and Rodriguez, Physiol. Genomics, 2004]
- Common dietary chemicals act on the human genome, either directly or indirectly, to alter gene expression or structure.
- Under certain circumstances and in some individuals, diet can be a serious risk factor for a number of diseases.
- Some diet-regulated genes (and their normal, common variants) are likely to play a role in the onset, incidence, progression, and/or severity of chronic diseases.
- The degree to which diet influences the balance between healthy and disease states may depend on an individual’s genetic makeup.
- Dietary intervention based on knowledge of nutritional requirement, nutritional status, and genotype (i.e., “individualized nutrition”) can be used to prevent, mitigate or cure chronic disease.
From the above it is quite clear that what we eat determines how our body will respond to it and that food can be a causative agent for the onset of many diseases and disorders through a variety of ways. Nutrigenomics holds a promise of “personalised health.” We have convincing scientific proof that no two human beings will react to a food (or a chemical contained in it) in a similar manner. We can use this science and its ever-expanding library of research to better understand the patient’s genetic make-up vis-à-vis his/her diet and its effect on his/her health.
If you are a dietitian or a doctor and wish to associate with Genetic Healing, we kindly invite you to get in touch with us to know how this exciting new way of looking at chronic conditions can bring as edge to your dietetic or medical practice.
Once you become part of the Genetic Healing family, we are committed to assist you in all ways possible. As part of our network, your details shall be put up on our website and this information shall be disbursed in all our corporate communication. We may also refer patients to you considering their proximity to your address.
We shall invite you for any talks, lectures or seminars that we organise. These events will have eminent specialists from various fields who will add value to your current understanding of Nutrigenomics and associated fields.
Genetic Healing is a fast-growing organization. It endeavours to include cutting edge genomic research into its product offerings and make them more robust and comprehensive. Your association with India’s first and most comprehensive nutrigenomics service platform is reason enough for your continued success.